Sunday, March 8, 2015

Costume Critique: The Producers

Aside from The Phantom of the Opera, this is another one of my favorite musicals! Since this is a musical adaptation by Mel Brooks, it is hilarious borderline offensive and inappropriate. William Ivey Long is the costume designer (I was actually able to find it) and he is also known for Annie Get Your Gun and Big Fish (musical version only I believe)



5. Since this movie/musical is set in 1959, the costumes are more realistic than anything. So normally they wouldn't stand out, but  this is Mel Brooks! His movies are anything BUT mundane. My favorite scene in the movie is so hilarious and wonderful and full of bright costumes. But there is one. That stands out from the rest. This character is a director and he enters a Director's Costume contest and and in his words "I'm suppose to be the Grand Duchess Anastasia! But I look more like the Chrysler building!". I love this dress for a couple of reasons. 
     1. The grand entrance he does with it is hilarious!
     2.The details and sequence on it! I imagine all of those had to be done by hand and took... I don't even want to think about how long it took
     3. That hat. I don't know what or how, but it's beautifully made and constructed.
3.  Every character is well represented by their clothes! You have the two main characters in their business suits, Will Ferrell in a German uniform which matches his character, the flamboyant director and his assistant always well dressed, and every background character fitting the time period. There is one character though that I'm questioning a bit. Uma Thurman's character is an immigrant from Sweden, but that's all we hear about her background. She is a very well-dressed, beautiful.  and kind of empty-headed woman who came to America to try and make it as an actress and she seems to be FOB (fresh off the boat), so why is she so well dressed? Unless she came from a wealthy family and had nothing else better to do, I'm not entirely convinced if her costume fits her current place and level in life. But, this is all speculation since it's never mentioned how long she's been in the states, if she's had other acting jobs, or her family's or person financial situation

No comments:

Post a Comment