Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Safe Haven Costume Critique

O

So I kinda might've used this assignment as an excuse to watch a good chic flick, but why not? It was actually my first time seeing it all the way through, and I thought it was absolutely fantastic!

Anyway, on to the costumes.

First, let's start with the bad guy Kevin.

Yup, this not-so-charming rascal... Throughout the movie he wears black and gray and dark things. Overall, this really washes him out, as you can see. It helps to convey that there is something off about him, which isn't outright explained for a while, but the viewer is able to get a sense of this, and I believe that the costuming helps to contribute to his "offness". Even when we still know him as just a cop, he wears a gray shirt with his suit, adding to the dark motif, and something is always undone--his shirt is untucked, or his tie is missing, just SOMETHING.

And now my favorite character, Jo. Right off the bat something about her intrigued me. She talked about loving where she was, but I still got this sense that she wanted to get away, or that she really did not belong. One of the first things I noticed was that she wore a necklace, the only character in the whole movie to have a piece of jewelry, and she ALWAYS wore it. Another was that she dressed just slightly fancier than the other people of the town, despite professing to love having a simple lifestyle. Just all these little things that said she didn't belong, I was able to find reflected in her clothing. Turns out I was right and she didn't belong! But that's all I will say because I don't want to spoil anything.

Alex dresses comfortably and casually, usually jeans and a t shirt with rolled sleeves or a short sleeve t shirt. Lots of soft, light colors that reflect his easy-going nature.

Katie, the protagonist, goes through a costume change in the story. In flashbacks we see her in a tight knee length dress, and long dark hair. However, as you can see in the movie picture I posted above, she has short blonde hair. Clearly, it shows how she wants to cut off her old life, just as she did her hair, and feel light and clean. Also her style is much different. Instead of a tight, long, business-like dress, she wears loose shorts and comfortable shirts. Overall much more casual. This is reflective of her new, simple lifestyle. She doesn't wear much color, just neutrals, which I didn't like, but that doesn't match her very fun and upbeat personality.

My favorite outfit in this movie is the rare time that Katie does wear color, the red dress. She only wears it on the Fourth of July, and not even the whole day, but it is really cute.
I couldn't find a great pic of it, but luckily they put it on one of the movie posters.
See? Super cute.

Oh, and I almost forgot, to mention, the costume designer of this movie was Leigh Leverett, and the production designer was Kara Lindstrom.







No comments:

Post a Comment