Sunday, April 5, 2015

Costume Critique: Kawaii-Kon 2015 Masquerade

SURPRISE! Not an anime show! but still anime related. Sister Dooley suggested I did a critique of the cosplay show and for my last review I think that it is an excellent idea. The official title is in the title above, and there is no designer for this. Most outfits are pre-designed by authors, and artists, and animators, ect, so the people are just modeling work they transformed from 2D to 3D.

 5) There were lots of great cosplay this year and it surprised me that I took the Master title. Comparatively, this was the smallest and shortest competition I've been in. Texas and Spokane had A LOT more competitors and took longer. Despite that, most of the cosplays I really enjoyed and awed at. Luckily, I've narrowed it down to my top 3 (aside from myself)

The first group are the Sailor Scouts from Sailor Moon, but with a little twist
The reason why I love this group is because they take an original, overdone idea and make it their own. Below is artwork of the show's original character design. They designed and created their own armor to add onto the regular uniform
Not to mention that I was right next to them in line so I got an up-close look at the armor. I love the craftsmanship and colors of it all. The only critique i have is that the belt on the blue one is falling off. I informed her of this backstage and she fixed it, but it must have slid off again with the waiting and walking. Lots of things could be the cause of it though. I understand the rush of the con and maybe whatever that was holding the armor up wasn't fitted to her body as well as the others

The second on is Raven from Teens Titans. Ah, nostalgia. A favorite childhood show with one of my favorite characters. I didn't get to see this one up close, but she looks good in this picture! The shape of her suit fits her really well, but not too tightly, her wig looks great, and her belt looks well-done. Her cape could have been a bit fuller, but making a large cape takes lots of fabric.

I have no idea what this is from, but i love it! I'll just leave this here.... Those tails.... <3 to die for

6. Sadly, there was one group that was not on my top favorite list... It was a Batman group but with a steampunk interpretation. I think?
 If I'm completely honest, this looks like a closet cosplay meaning that they just dug everything theyre wearing out of their closet and slapped some makeup on. However, to enter, one's cosplay has to be handmade or bought and modified about 70% (if i remember correctly). I wasn't there at their interview so I don't know how they actually pieced everything together. Aside from that,the only two recognizable characters are harely quin and the joker, but I have no idea about the other two. Poison Ivy and...? I have no clue. Just look like ordinary clothes and some crazy makeup (not even any wigs!). I may just be picky, but I can't help but be "meh" about this cosplay

No comments:

Post a Comment