Friday, April 17, 2015

Wrap-up

Winter wrap up winter wrap up! let's finish our holiday cheer. Winter wrap up winter wrap-up! (singing pony song that oddly fits)

It seems like the weird pleather i used to create my belt always has meltdowns before an important event. Before my judging at the con, the straps were peeling from the main part because i learned that pleather and any type of glue do not go well together. So i sewed the straps together at the con, but this time before the fashion show, the velcro that held the bags popped off from the pleather! thank heavens for alpha and having safety pins to hold it together long enough for me to walk on the runway. Another trouble I had at the con and the fashion show was the ears staying in place. I loved m hat turned out: so long as the ears remained in place. I probably should have used a stiffer interfacing, but this one is bendable which is its strength (for packing and fold the ears over) and it's weakness. Maybe if i stitched it down in a few more places it will hold his position?
(the beautiful before picture before I had to pack it for the con)
I had too many challenges to count! Such as finding out I needed a certain piece or decal but not having a car or a fabric store nearby... Thank heavens for the sewing center and costume shop though! they were able to have what i needed to get through those small technicalities. I also had troubles with my sleeves at the beginning. I had to redo them several times before I was satisfied by the results. I had lots of challenges, but I was able to get through them rather quickly after some thought or a quick break to cool off.

The judges asked me what I was most proud of or my favorite part about my costume. I shall respond with what I said then: all of it. This was a costume I wanted to create for a really long time back when I first started sewing. I didn't feel ready for it , but when I seriously started thinking about it AND competing in it, I, for the most part, felt ready for the challenge. What boggles my mind is the fact I was able to create it in just 3 months. that doesn't seem long enough to create everything I did and all the time I took to hand-stitch it all together! Miracles do happen. Seeing it come together piece by piece, detail by detail, is the thing I'm proud of most. Seeing it all come together and see it win a competition, how could I not be proud of it all?!?





No comments:

Post a Comment