Sunday, April 5, 2015

Final Project Post #2

I'm not sure this is kind of cheating or not since I already have mine done, but I'll talk about the last thing I did with mine, which was the most difficult and slightly frustrating part. THE HAMMER! So with making props, there are lots of different ways to to the same thing; it just depends on how much money and time you have. With me, paper mache is my forte. I know how to work with it;I know the cost and time it takes: I also had something knew I wanted to try with paper mache.

So the first problem of making this thing: making it detachable and sturdy. I knew I wanted it to be big. It had to be to stay true with the character. So I had to think of a way to make it travel friendly and the first answer that came to mind was a detachable pole. I've never made a weapon before, so I was busting my brain with concepts and ideas of how to make a hollow, flimsy box into a sturdy yet break apart-able hammer.
(inside Narnia)
I had a friend help me figure out some ideas of how to stabalize the part where the pole and the box meet. At first, we had a comlicated platform of wood to mount the plumbing piece to, but then, in a moment of genius, my friend suggested drilling a hole into a frisbee. Thanks to the help of Brother Ferre, it happened! I attached the pole that ran through the middle to the top and stabilized the sides with painting sticks and cardboard then taped that puppy up. I did this to prevent the water to distort the boxes shape as I layered it in paper mache. If cardboard is not protected, it will sink and sag in lots of places =P
Next was the layering of the paper mache. This wasn't the hard part =) Afterwards, it was time to try a new technique. With other props I've made (horns, helmets, and crazy arm speakers), I had no clue how to even out the paper mache so you couldnt tell it was actually paper mache! I read a tutorial online that used Gesso, a paint primer for canvases, and sanding it, so I got me two large bottles and went to work on it. I did about 6 coats I believe
Sadly, after the Gesso and sanding, it was still not to my satisfactory. On camera it looks great, but up close, lines were still noticabe and distinct, but I didn't want to start over at all, so I went with it. I spent hours taping newspaper so painting the designs would be easier and cleaner.
After that step, I covered the newly painted grey parts to protect it from the spray paint
A hop, skip, and a jump away it was complete! I don't have any pictures of making the pole, but I will say that there is one thing that bothers me about the hammer... when its on the pole- it rocks. it teeters and wobbles and I don't like it. Makes me worry it's going to SNAP and tear any moment. If I were to do it again, I would find a second mether other than paper mache to make this hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment