Thursday, April 16, 2015

Project Post #2

The project was off to a promising start when I picked out the fabrics. I am immensely satisfied with the fabrics that I chose. I think the colors are perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I used a cotton fabric for the bodice. It did not stretch and was thick enough that I did not need to add another fabric underneath to prevent it from being see through. The material I am using for the skirt I am also intending to use as the puff for around the shoulders. This is actually made up of two fabrics. The first is a purple/lavender lining fabric. I chose purple/lavender because in the live-action version of the movie, the dress shows pieces or hints purple and the 'multicoloredness' creates a interesting effect. Over the lining fabric I put a blue stretchy netting. The two colors blended together created the effect I was looking for. It appeared to be a light-blue, but at the same time gave a hint of purple. Perfect! The design for my dress is a knee-length skirt, but both the fabrics are floor length. To fix this and add to the flowyness of the ensemble I folded the lining fabric in half , so that it was doubled up. It ended up making it the perfect length. For the blue over-fabric I trimmed it and instead of hemming it I attached it to the inner layer of the purple skirt. This created a bubble effect that I rather liked, so it stuck

I am off to a good start with pattern adjusting. With a pattern I borrowed and traced from Sister Dooley, I will have a wide-neck effect, almost boatneck style, on the dress. It is not quite off-the-shoulder, like the original dress, but that is not what I want. Personally, it just wouldn't feel modest enough for me, and as it is is already stretching how much skin I'd be comfortable showing around my shoulders, as the designer I say it is good enough for me. I have also adjusted the pattern to create a sweetheart neckline rather than straight across, how the pattern originally was. Also, I lengthened the waistline so that it would come down to the smallest point of my waist, instead of the middle of my ribcage, how the pattern originally called for. Overall, a lot of adjustment went into creating this bodice, but the end result is going to be worth it! So far, I have most of the pieces, I just have to put them all together now!! Yay for sewing machines!!!

Ummm....so to add more pictures, but still keep with the overall concept of costuming, here are some pictures that I took last summer when I went to visit Little India in LA!



Look at all the sparkles and pretty detailing!! I fell in love that day <3 :D

No comments:

Post a Comment