Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Taylor's Costume Critique: Captain America (The first film)

The vast majority of us are familiar with the Marvel world; it has been all too popular. Superheroes are all the rage, and right now they’re increasing in popularity, seeing as how they’re coming out with Ant Man and The Black Panther. 
After science
I would like to touch on one of the films that came out a while ago: Captain America. Most people have a good appreciation for Captain America the man, with his good heart, and Dorito-like shoulder-to-waist ratio, but I feel as though not much thought is put into how the character of Captain America is developed. I’m sure that Chris Evans goes quite a ways with his great physique and I-just-want-to-cuddle-with-you face, but let’s go ahead and give the costume designer some credit, shall we?
(1) Anna Biedrzyca-Sheppard (that’s a mouthful) designed the costumes for Captain America: The First Avenger. 
Before science
Captain America: The man with a plan
(2) As I was re-watching this movie (of course I’ve seen it multiple times) I started looking at time period and style. The vast majority of this movie is set during World War II, and most people don’t know this, but only the Nazi’s at that time had polyester fabric. The United States wore cotton and that’s about it. Background story: The reason that the Nazi’s wore polyester was because during WWII the supply of cotton went downward and they couldn’t get it imported, really. They, therefore, ended up being quite innovative and thought “hey, let’s spin this plastic stuff and make clothing" and they did, except they would have said, “wir drehen dieses Kunststoffmaterial und machen Kleidung” because that’s how the Germany people do. A really cool small detail that I noticed in the movie was that only the Nazi’s wore polyester, everyone else wore cotton-looking crap. You can tell it’s more cottony by the way it fits, or maybe they just sewed it that way. Anyway, a small detail that I really appreciated. 
Agent Carter
(3) Something that I also loved was the WWII period as a whole as far as fashion goes. I love pin-up style hair and I love the whole red-lipstick shebang. My favorite costume would have to be Agent Carter. She looks Amazing ALL OF THE FREAKING TIME. Even when she’s angry, she looks good. I feel as tough Biedrzyca-Sheppard made sure that she looked good the whole time, because she’s the dame but whatever, her ability to always look good is a tad inspiring.
High waters, haha
Guh, he's amazing.
Another one of my favorite costumes would have to be the after shot of Captain America when science happened. It’s not because he’s shirtless and perfect (I’m lying) but I also noticed that he was in high waters when he was running after that one nazi guy who killed the scientist guy. I feel as though they wouldn’t have done that because he would have looked like a dork, but they totally did. It was the best. My friends and I all noticed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment