Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How To Steal A Million

For my costume critique I am turning to Hollywood glamour for inspiration! This movie I actually really loved. This is the latest movie of Hepburn's career that I have seen, and I was questioning how I would like the fashion, considering it was filmed mid sixties and I am a little hesitant when it comes to the fashion of that era (generally I prefer fifties fashion), but I found myself pleasantly surprised!! Hepburn of course looked fantastic, and how could she not while wearing designs of Givenchy?

For the most part I loved the all the looks, however there were some of Audrey's outfits I wasn't totally in love with, But I suppose it is because I wasn't such a fan of the style of the time. I  just didn't love Audrey's big hair, the beehive look doesn't sit very well with me. And the large buggy sunglasses weren't so spectacular, and the hats she wore weren't pretty either. Particularly the first one shown in her opening outfit (shown below). It looks like an odd felt helmet thing. I just thought it was weird... However, I thought basically ALL the dresses looked fantastic! And there was a point when she wore this adorable blue/teal colored coat. It was a really cute coat with a beautiful color. And the black lace dress she wears when she meets with Mr. Dermott to plan the theft is AMAZING, really gorgeous, plus with the black lace mask--just so pretty! Definitely my favorite outfit--I may have found my end of the semester project!!! I think putting the heavy eyeliner on her was somewhat a risk, and I can't decide if it paid off or not. Sometimes it feels far too heavy for her, and in some scenes I think it looks fine.
And as for the men, well they looked basic enough. They all wore suits, and the policeman wore police outfits, so pretty much as expected; however, when we are first introduced to Mr. Dermott (when he is "stealing" the painting), he is wearing a tuxedo and looks fantastic in it! I don't see how it is the most practical thing for a burglar to wear, or really why he was wearing it, but it looked so good I don't really care. Overall, they seemed like a well dressed and well paired couple.

Considering costuming this piece, it seems fairly straightforward. Put the men in suits, the policemen/guards in policemen/guard uniforms. The only character with much variance is Nicole (Hepburn's character), and she looks great (almost) all the time. And she has so many different costumes that it must have been hard to come up with so many.

Overall, it was a pretty dazzling movie set in a lovely venue--Paris--and although the storyline might have been a little far-fetched at times, I thought it was a very charming movie, with everything seeming cohesive and going together well.



No comments:

Post a Comment