Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lauren Hadley, Mary Poppins, Wrap Up

I was able to work behind the “seams” of Mary Poppins on Thursday, which happened to be opening night. I had already helped at a dress rehearsal, so I had an idea of what would go on. When I first arrived, I thought a lot more actors would be there already getting ready, but only a few. Aliya was there early doing her hair and make-up which looked amazing (pictured below). I helped Taimi iron and steam a few last minute costumes and then we just waited for more actors to arrive. One by one they started to come and you could feel the excitement in the air. Some of the male actors could not find their correct shirts, or jackets but were able to locate them quickly and without fuss. Other than a few safety pinning, and securing wigs, I did not do much to help.  I felt that all the actors were very organized otherwise, and knew exactly what they needed to individually do in order to be dressed and ready for show time. I was asked by a male actor to help him with his makeup and I was scared because I have no experience with theater make up. But I figured I was a girl who wears make up, so I could figure it out. I quickly observed what the other actors were doing and picked a foundation which I thought would match his skin tone. I also saw that the others were putting some sort of magical powder on their faces to ensure that the makeup would not melt of as they sweat. The part of theater make up I struggled with the most is the eye liner. I did not know how dark and thick to make it, so I put a medium amount on him. Once the show began, things slowed down back stage and many of the actors were playing games until it was their turn to go on stage. As the play continued, back stage, many of the actors put their sweep costumes on. I noticed that one of the sweep’s hat was not completely black or dark, and was mainly a tan color. He was the only one with an odd hat. I mentioned to him if he had another hat or if he could wear a spare hat we had backstage but he was stubborn and said he did not want to. I was not sure how crucial it was for him to have the right colored hat but I was afraid he would stand out too much on stage even though he was not a main character. Even Alpha agreed but he wore it anyways. I am sure it was fine though. There was one thing I could have done better as I worked backstage. As the play was coming to an end, I wanted to start cleaning up because I did not want to stay too late as I needed to get home to my daughter. I collected all the rubbish and cleaned any odds and ends I found. I thought I would also help the actors out by putting away and organizing the makeup station. However, I noticed one of the actresses rushing around trying to find her makeup because it was, “suddenly missing.” My fault! Overall, I enjoyed my experience back stage and I enjoyed the rush.

** a video before the chaos began...




No comments:

Post a Comment